Right now, I have 7 loads of laundry that need to be done. How in the world did we have clean underwear while I was working? Maybe we didn’t? Oh my gosh. Maybe we didn’t……
I don’t have a productive post today. I’m just going to make a list of things I want to say. Is that okay?
1. I’ve had several questions about food/dessert served at PB’s birthday party. We (my mom, my neighbor, and myself) did all of the cooking for the party. Here’s what we had:
Pulled pork bbq sandwiches
Mama’s rotel dip
Granny’s holiday party cookies (chocolate chip cookies)
Cow patty cookies
Everything but the chicken tenders and the fruit and veggie trays was homemade. And guess what? I didn’t take a single picture of the food. Go figure. But I’ll post recipes soon!
In the meantime, here’s the link to the cupcake recipe I used. I used the same recipe for my chocolate cupcakes, except I added a box of German Chocolate cake mix. I was very pleased with how this recipe turned out. The cupcakes were more dense and moist compared to regular cake box cupcakes. They reminded me of bakery cupcakes.
As for icing, I don’t have ‘set’ recipe for you. For the vanilla cupcakes, I did made an icing from butter, heavy cream, powered sugar, vanilla extract, and a little almond extract. I don’t have the exact proportions, as I really just make icings to taste. For the chocolate cupcakes, I used cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and a little caramel flavoring. Again, no proportions (sorry) because I made it to taste.
For PB’s smash cake, I took leftover batter from each batch (vanilla and chocolate) and baked it in a small dish. I made a small, two layer cake from the leftover batter, and covered it with icing. I added black sprinkles to the smash cakes and cupcakes. To save money on sprinkles, I used sugar in the raw, and added food coloring. It worked perfectly. In fact, I don’t ever buy sprinkles. I just use sugar in the raw and color it however I need.
2. I also had a question about the centerpiece I used:
It was totally easy, greasy! I took leftover terra cotta pots from my wedding and painted them black. Then, I took marshmallows and painted ‘cow spots’ on them with black food coloring, so they were completely edible. It was really simple and cheap!
Then, I put floral foam in the vases, and stuck skewers in the marshmallows and then put the skewer in the floral foam. I covered it with leftover crinkle paper from my wedding.
3. I tried to imitate a picture I saw on pinterest for PB’s birthday this week.
It didn’t work out. He thought he was supposed to ‘hide’ behind the chalkboard.
4. My child fights naps now. I mean ferociously fights naps. He screams bloody murder every time I try to get him to nap. I finally give up and let him down from the rocking chair. When his feet hit the ground, he flashes a big mischievous grin and runs away. Boys……..
5. I saved $46 at the grocery store yesterday with coupons/sales. I got so excited at the checkout I thought I might hug the bag boy. I refrained and they gave me a balloon instead. Well, actually they gave it to PB, but I called it my own.
6. Last night, I was sitting on the rug in the living room, and noticed a bunch of dirt on the floor beside me. I casually pushed it under the living room rug, only to notice an even bigger pile of dirt under the rug. Hmmm. I must have done this before. It was the right thing to do, though.
7. I’m going to eat potato soup, blueberry muffins, and stuffed shells this weekend, in no particular order.
8. Okay, I’m done now.
Have a blessed weekend 🙂